Sunday, February 26, 2012

Time may change me...

Sunday Sunday Sunday! Church was wonderful today. The message was targeted toward non-married young adults. Hey that's me! Our pastor talked about the benefits of remaining single. He listed many examples of men and women who impacted the world for Christ who never would have done so if they were married. It was all rather interesting. Before the service, I foolishly thought I would gain nothing from the message, but once again God graciously proved me wrong. (Thank goodness!)
   As I walked to my car after the service, I overheard some girls my age intensely discussing how they wanted their marriages to work. One said, "I'd rather not be married at all, than marry someone who will end up divorcing me."
   I laughed inside at the intense passion flowing from that statement. It reminded me of my stubborn remarks I used to make in elementary school. I would loudly proclaim with a disgusted look on my face "I am NEVER getting married!" (I was never the kind of girl who planned my wedding when I was young. I played softball and climbed trees and competed with my brother. I burped at meals (I still do, sadly enough), collected Pokemon, and watched wrestling. I hated being a "girly girl".)
Wow, I really went off on a tangent there! ANYWAY, those girls in the parking lot may have completely missed the point of the message. The message was mostly directed at non-married young adults, but it was more about being content in whatever situation of life God has placed us in and being open to the fact that God wants to use us just as we are right now.
   He wants us to serve Him in every circumstance. Not just "when I'm older", "when I've finished college", "when I move out of my parents' house", or "when I get my life in order." Time may change me and make me a better person, but God wants to use me to impact the world RIGHT NOW!
   It's refreshing to know that God has a specific purpose in mind for this weird, sometimes depressing, chaotic transition in my life. What I'm going through now is not only helping me serve Him in the future, but it's helping me serve others where I am right now as well!
   I don't have to wait to change the world. (Or as John the D-Bag Mayer put it, "Keep on waiting for the world to change.") God can use me now. Even though I feel unqualified, unorganized, immature, irresponsible, ever-failing, distracted, naive, weak, and sometimes unwilling, God is using me for a purpose greater than I can fathom. God doesn't want me to be miserable while serving Him either! He will give me joy, and I trust God will strengthen me when I'm weak.
   God loves even a dork like me, (Ooh how profound! I used my blog title in my blog! That's sarcasm of course.) but God can also use an incapable dork like me to change the world!

Acts 2:25-28
I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest in hope, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, you will not let your holy one see decay. You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence

No comments: