Sunday, June 24, 2012

Epic weekend-ness

   I apologize for the lack of post yesterday. I was super busy. So yesterday! Let's talk about that shall we? Yesterday I worked! I also got to hang out with my crazy beautiful amazing friend, Laura. We went to a coffee shop and talked for hours. She wanted to know my story, my faith story. She pretty much asked me right off the bat which was new for me, you know, to have someone interested in my faith story.
   So I shared everything. From growing up in a christian home, being the child of a missionary and pastor, my depression and cutting in middle school, struggling with something else I'm too ashamed to admit that I've actually only told one other person, my insecurity and loneliness in high school, my anorexia and bulimia in high school, bitterness toward God after my rejection to the one college I thought I was destined to attend, my faith changing surgeries, new found devotion to God, feeling called to work in youth and worship ministry, the spiritual growth those trials brought me, my parents' separation, my extreme depression during that, my best friend who carried me through it all, our dating relationship, struggles with purity, then the break up which brings me to my current growth in Christ.
    Then she told me her story and I could just hear her passion for Christ in every word. She's been through the wringer, and God has redeemed her. I absolutely adored every minute we spent together. Then we went to applebees and chatted some more about Christianity, getting over relationships, relying on God, baptism, life, faith, love, and men who are so attractive that I go cross-eyed just looking at them.    
   We goofed around at walmart and waited for another beautiful friend to finish work so we could celebrate her new career as a social worker! We went to steak n shake and slurped down ice creamy goodness and tried to be somewhat civil in public, despite our late night fatigue that had turned us all into goofy, hot-messes. The entire day was a blessing for me to just be able to unload everything on my heart and have someone else who is living out their faith understand exactly what I'm going through. God is really taking care of me.
   Then today I worked. At work, I sorted and hung clothing and talked with a dude my age about... religion. It was definitely an exciting opportunity for me to be open and up front about my faith. I shared why I believe what I believe and some of my faith story with him. He was completely cool about it and we just got to know each other better. No arguing about religion or any heated discussion involved. Just God giving me the opportunity to live out my faith in every aspect of my life. I then invited him to church and told him he should check out any church at least once. He said he was definitely open to it. So yay for God!
   I'm now going to start praying for him every day, that God would open up his heart toward Christ, deepen our friendship with one another so it can give me the opportunity to really witness to him. Usually I'm not the kind of person to step out in faith and share about my beliefs and relationship with God with someone I barely know. I do my best to avoid confrontation and usually religion is at the root of many confrontations, but today I was filled with God's peace that surpasses all understanding. I just relied on God to give me the words to say, since I can be a bumbling idiot sometimes and God definitely provided. So today was a huge personal victory for me. God definitely led the way though.
   I came home on cloud nine. I did my devotions, knelt down and prayed, and got ready to go to the Peoria Chiefs game with my friend Lara and her family. I spent time with her and her brother and other students from the church. (You know, after spending time with high schoolers at Soul Survivor and at the game tonight, I realized how much I miss being in high school ministry. I may never get to do that at my church again, but I'm thinking about volunteering at the Nazarene church in the fall.) Anyway, as soon as Lara and I walk through the gates of the stadium, some worker stops us and asks us if we want to participate in a game between innings. We said, uh... yeah!! So we got to play musical chairs, except the chairs were giant exercise balls. We didn't win... bummer. But we had soo much fun!
   After the game, came the fireworks. They were uhhhmazing! Some christian songs played as the fireworks went off, and I just had an amazing moment of just worshiping God and His awesomeness before this gorgeous fireworks display. Then Josh Wilson played a concert after the fireworks. I got to do some more amazing worshiping to his awesome music. The night, no, this entire weekend was just hands down epic. God's hand was in my entire weekend, and I just love Him so so much.
   I actually have to sing in church tomorrow morning, so I need to get to bed. I just thought I'd give you a heads up on the past couple of days. Another epic weekend, full of undeserved blessing for Erin Darling. God is awesome. He has given me so much more than I deserve. I am just in awe of God's love and provision in my life. His love endures forever... and ever... and ever!!!! Nighty night world!

No comments: