Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Just a fool growing wise

  After my post yesterday, I decided I needed to spend some time with my creator. I read about Daniel and his integrity when he was faced with a law against, well God basically. Punishable by a gruesome death of being ripped apart by hungry lions. The moment Daniel found out about this law, he went home, to his room flung open the windows and prayed for all to see.
   I want a faith like that. Daniel was the kind of guy that resisted any worldly activities that would compromise his relationship with God. He only ate veggies for a while because the meat everyone else ate was "blessed by a pagan God". I could not believe it! Sadly, I care too much of what others would say about me if I ever pulled a stunt like that.  I want a faith like Daniel.
   One of my new favorite quotes that originated from my devotional book is "Whether we are stand-up Christians or stand-up comics depends upon whose applause we covet". I cried when I read this quote because earlier that day I had made a joke at the expense of another person, and cussed in front of my entire class in order to make them all laugh, and while everyone laughed and it made me feel good temporarily, I made someone feel insecure by poking fun at them and compromised my relationship with God. Plus I just plain looked foolish swearing to get a laugh. I coveted the applause of my peers more than the applause of my Creator.
   I apologize. It was wrong. But isn't it awesome how God looks after us? I believe it was no coincidence that I happened upon that particular quote in that particular devotional book. It was a miracle and my God loves me enough to show me that the applause of millions will never add up to the applause of my One True God.

Daniel 6:10
When Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he went to his house where he had windows in his upper chamber open toward Jerusalem. He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously.

No comments: