Sunday, May 6, 2012

Grease is the word

   It's summer, summer, summertime... summertime! I'm trusting that God has something epic in store for me this summer. God has provided me with a job, He has carried me through another successful semester.
   Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you... I have a job now! About a week ago, I started job searching at the prodding of my mother. I was just going to humor her, but driving to my first destination I remember praying, "God I'm sorry I haven't relied on you for the small details of my life. Lord, please provide me a job. You know my needs, and I'm going to completely rely on you to provide for me even though I don't deserve your provision."
   Praying helped change my perspective a bit as I first walked into Dollar General but that was a no go. Then I went over to Big Lots and another no go. Then just for a good laugh, I went to a tanning place practically blinding the poor employee with my glowing, transparent white skin, and obviously that was a no go. So I walked down to Goodwill. I applied there a month earlier but heard nothing so I was wary to try again, but I remembered that God is in control so I walked to the register and asked for an application.
   The cashier handed me one and the manager happened to be standing a couple aisles away and told me she had never done this before, but she wanted me to fill it out in the store and she could interview me when I was done. Yeah... after regained my consciousness and picked up my jaw off the floor, I feverishly filled out all the information with my heart pounding so hard that I was sure everyone in the store could hear. I thanked God for working this out so far as I finished signing my name and turned my application in to the manager.
   She took me back to her office and I remember feeling such an out of place sense of peace. I knew God was working some crazy-awesome scheme on me. The manager looked over the paper for about three minutes and started asking me about myself. I was completely calm and collected and answered each question to the best of my ability with a giant grin on my face due to the fact that I was still in shock, but so excited I was in a job interview.
   After a ten minute interview, the manager told me I was a great fit for their team. She said "I've never done this before but you are hired." ...Wha...What? Hired?? ...Me?? Yeah, I shook her hand and "thank you's" bubbled out of my mouth like I had eaten a mentos and drank diet coke at the same time. I walked out to my car rather dizzy and sat inside and started crying. I bawled like an animal rights activist during a Sarah Mclachlan commercial. I had never experienced a literal, almost immediate, direct answer to prayer. I consider all of that a miracle straight from God. I have a job now, not because of anything I did, but because of God.
   I've learned through all of this that God is listening to my prayers... oh yeah, I know, big revelation huh? But whatever hits me in life, my first reaction is never to talk to God about it. God has shown me through my lack of prayer, where my priorities lie.
   No matter what I have to say now, I'm completely honest with God. Some days, I have to tell him that my heart isn't in the right place, and I'd rather be doing something else, but I'm tired of trying to fool God and myself by not praying or by praying what I think He wants to hear. God wants my honesty and my devotion and I'm hopelessly devoted to Him... okay yeah that's a song from Grease... yeah, I used to fast forward through the entire song too when I watched the movie... Yeah... I'm a music geek. I know. But, hey! God created me that way and I'm okay with that! I think it at least keeps these posts a little interesting, right? Okay I'm going to stop typing now, here's a few verses for you today...

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it will be given to you seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Psalm 107:28-30
Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven

Matthew 21:22
And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.

No comments: